Outburst is a fun vocabulary for young learners and teens. In this activity students brainstorm words on a topic and try and match their ideas to the teachers ideas. This is a great activity at the beginning of a unit, at the end of a unit as revision or as a fun end of class activity.
- First, split the class into teams of three or four.
- Give the teams a category and then give them 1 or 2 minutes to brainstorm some ideas. For example, the topic could be food. Students should first brainstorm some ideas of different foods.
- Next, the first team has one minute to shout out as many words they can related to the category. The team scores one point for each word that matches the teacher’s list. The next teams goes and so on.
- Play several rounds with the students.
- The team with the most points in the end is the winner