The directions game
is a fun and interactive way to practice giving directions in English
or another language.
In this game there are two versions to play:
In Game 1
there is a map with common different places found in a town or a city. One student/group/teacher places the red starting point marker somewhere on the board. Next, the next student/team or teacher clicks on the “go to the…” button. Whatever location comes up on the card, is the place the student/team need to give directions to.
You can gamify the game by awarding points for the correct answer and deducting points for wrong directions if you wish.
In the Game 2,
students get to place the different places on the map and create their own city. This can be a good opportunity to practice what each place is. What you can you do/buy there? How do you spell it? Do you go there often? etc
Then a student/team place the red starting point on the map and choose where they want the other team/student to go. This version allows for additional practice of vocabulary and customisation of the map to allow students to make it their own.
Find more games and activities on our YouTube Channel
More Online ESL Games
Discover more of our online tools.
– A simple virtual dice that can be used on any device
Date and Weather Interactive Chart
(New) – Our no fuss interactive date and weather chart is a great way practice the date and weather each day with your students.
Jokes Bot – Random Joke Generator
– Let Jokes Bot bring some laughter to the classroom with over 600 random jokes.
Multiple Virtual Dice –
Need more than one die? Click here and you can add as many virtual dice as you need.
Customizable Classroom Dice
– Need a die/dice with lots of extra features? This is the one for you. Choose the number of die, how many faces and much, much more.
Classroom Soundboard –
This tool helps teachers manage classroom transitions with simple sounds that they can assign to different classroom tasks e.g listen to the teacher, change groups, go back to your desk etc.
Quick QR Code Generator
– Create quick, no fuss QR codes to share links, vocabulary definitions or any other data with your students. Just paste the info and instantly get a QR to add to your lesson or print out. No fuss and no hassle.
Random Debate Topic Generator
– Generate over 200 different debate topics to hold debates in class.
Random Tongue Twister Generator
– Generate over 200 different tongue twisters with this tool to practice pronunciation, fluency and much more with your students.
Cipher (Code) Making Tool
– Make secret ciphers quickly and easily with our new Cipher tool.
– Get your students making and telling stories with this fun online story tool.
Random Letter Generator
– Generate random letters from the alphabet with this simple letter generating tool.
Random Number Generator
– play bingo, practice numbers or pick who goes first, all with this random number generator.
Tell the Time
– Practice telling the time with this free online tool for teens and adults.