ESL New Year’s Resolutions Activity is a great way to get teens and adults speaking on the topic of New Year’s resolutions. This activity is designed for students with a level of intermediate and above.
- Encourage students to first discuss New Year’s resolutions
- What are some New Year’s resolutions you have made in the past?
- Is it popular to make New Year’s resolutions in your country?
- Get students to brainstorm common New year’s Resolutions that people make.
- Then, ask students to put their ideas into a list of most popular to least popular.
- Give/show students the top ten list for 2017.
- Exercise more (38 per cent)
- Lose weight (33 per cent)
- Eat more healthily (32 per cent)
- Take a more active approach to health (15 per cent)
- Learn new skill or hobby (15 per cent)
- Spend more time on personal well being (12 per cent)
- Spend more time with family and friends (12 per cent)
- Drink less alcohol (12 per cent)
- Stop smoking (9 per cent)
- Other (1 per cent)
- After students compare their answers, they discuss if they guessed correctly or incorrectly. Did anything surprise them? Would the results be the same in their country?