ESL Christmas Debate
ESL Christmas Debate involves holding a debate with your students on the topic of Christmas. This activity can be used as an end of class activity or if you follow the plan below will take at least 30 minutes. This activity is suitable for teens and adults with a level of intermediate and above. Method:
- Put students into groups and assign them as ‘for’ or ‘against’.
- Show or tell students the statement and give them 5 – 10 minutes to prepare their ideas. Encourage students to guess what their opponents might say and prepare a counter argument.
- Begin the debate by allowing one of the teams to make their arguments. Encourage each student to talk. A typical debate would follow the following structure:
- Christmas has become too commercial.
- Christmas should not be a national holiday.
- Santa is not a good role model for children.
- Christmas is just about shopping and money and not about family and friends.
- What is Christmas really about?
- Children on the naughty list should not get presents.
- It is better to be naughty than nice.
- We should greet each other with “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”?
- Christmas of the past was better than the Christmas of modern times.
- Christmas songs shouldn’t be played until after the 6th of December.
Find more games and activities on our YouTube Channel
More Christmas Activities
Discover more Christmas activities for kids, teens and adults. Christmas Spot the Difference – Practice Christmas vocabulary with this fun interactive online game. Christmas Worksheets and Printables – Christmas worksheets and Printables that can be used in classroom to reinforce vocabulary, practice problem solving and bring some festive cheer. ESL Christmas Quiz – This great no-prep Christmas quiz is great for teens and adults and covers Christmas cultural knowledge, vocabulary, Christmas music. 4 ESL Christmas Activities – This huge Christmas post includes speaking, vocabulary and a video lesson. This is suited for Young learners and teens and even adults. Christmas Tongue Twisters – Tongue Twisters is a fun activity for young learners or even teens to practice pronunciation. Great as a warmer or cooler for your Christmas lesson plan. ESL Christmas Charades – This activity is a great no-prep game for teens and adults to practice Christmas vocabulary. Just a minute Christmas Challenge – In this activity students need to speak about a Christmas photo for one minute. This activity is great for teens and adults who are preparing for the B1 Exam (PET).