Hammer phonics is a great ESL game for beginners with a low level of English. If properly organized and carried out, it is fun and will in no time become a popular game in class. This is a great game to practice and learn phonics in class. Duration: 10mins Materials required: Toy hammer and Phonics Flash Cards. Skills practiced: Phonics revision and quick response. Level: Beginners
- Introduce few phonics cards to the learners (Not more than 8 at a time, EXAMPLE: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H).
- After a proper introduction and teaching of the phonic cards put them on the floor.
- Hand toy hammers to two students at a time.
- Students should be instructed to raise their hammers as high as possible.
- Read out the phonetic sound that is related to a particular card
- The first learner to hit the right card and properly pronounce the right phonetic sound associated with that card is declared the winner.
- Transfer the hammers to new students and repeat the whole process.